6 of 9
Notable Haitian Women
Posted: 25 November 2008 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Sr. Member - Chef de la Patrie
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2433
Joined  1969-12-31
Couldn't find a bio but the music speaks for itself. In a industry dominated by males. Riske is our all Female Haitian band. I'm sure this made all Haitian women proud.

Posted: 25 November 2008 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7384
Joined  2008-07-29
man if i remember correctly they only had one album...but that is a great album...i borrowed it from my dad's collection and lost it!....professeur ya di alonsi mes eleves...lallalallalaaa!
 Signature 

Remember your words----reflect on your emotional tirades for once.

Posted: 25 November 2008 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4122
Joined  1969-12-31
I'm not sure if it's a rumor or something that's happened for real since I can't confirm it, but I've heard that some members died in a car accident in S. Florida supposedly in the mid-90's.
 Signature 

That which nourishes me also destroys me.

Posted: 25 November 2008 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4197
Joined  1969-12-31
Tibobo/GanitoBibao - 25 November 2008 12:54 PM
This is the most notable Haitian woman of the end of the 20th and the beginning of the 21st centuries. Most of you don't even know her. Gfranc, a biography please:
th_pres-trouillot-pascal.jpg

rolleyes

Her name is Ertha Pascal-Trouillot, and she was the first Female President of Haiti...well, technically she wasn't since she was really acting out that role...

You just made an ass out of yourself with that assumption, Tibob.
[ Edited: 25 November 2008 04:16 PM by kathy ]
 Signature 

Je suis Haïtienne à l’os!

Posted: 25 November 2008 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-29
kathy - 25 November 2008 04:11 PM
Tibobo/GanitoBibao - 25 November 2008 12:54 PM
This is the most notable Haitian woman of the end of the 20th and the beginning of the 21st centuries. Most of you don't even know her. Gfranc, a biography please:
th_pres-trouillot-pascal.jpg

rolleyes

Her name is Ertha Pascal-Trouillot, and she was the first Female President of Haiti...well, technically she wasn't since she was really acting out that role...

You just made an ass out of yourself with that assumption, Tibob.

her husband has alot of powerful family i think she had alot of help in getting to the presidency ...was she very popular...and let's not forget who's cousin she could possibly be marriage....
 Signature 

Posted: 25 November 2008 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  1969-12-31
I wish Haitians today participated more in beauty pageants. long face Let's see:

Claudinette Fouchard in 1960 beat 42 countries to win Miss Sugar Queen or Miss Canne a Sucre (I'm guessing it's a defunct pageant now).

LNY8711120486B.jpg

Evelyn Miot (Miss Haiti) was the first black woman to make it to the top semifinalist in Miss Universe pageant in 1962 inspiring and paving the way for others. Can't find any photographs of her.

Gerthie David was the first Miss Haiti to make runner-up in Miss Universe pageant in 1975 and became the second black woman to have made runner up in the pageant.

Second from right

Universe_1975-Top5.jpg

(Although I hate beauty pageants, it's about time we have some people up there again.)
[ Edited: 25 November 2008 04:44 PM by HQueen ]
 Signature 

Posted: 25 November 2008 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-29
although i can't say i hate beauty pageants..i don't particularly care for the ones i've seen on tv in haiti....it's not as up to par as it could be b/c we have so much more potential

HQueen - 25 November 2008 04:41 PM
I wish Haitians today participated more in beauty pageants. long face Let's see:

Claudinette Fouchard in 1960 beat 42 countries to win Miss Sugar Queen or Miss Canne a Sucre (I'm guessing it's a defunct pageant now).

LNY8711120486B.jpg

Evelyn Miot (Miss Haiti) was the first black woman to make it to the top 5 semifinalist in Miss Universe pageant in 1962 inspiring and paving the way for others. Can't find any photographs of her.

Gerthie David was the first Miss Haiti to make runner-up in Miss Universe pageant in 1975 and became the second black woman to have made runner up in the pageant.

Second from right

Universe_1975-Top5.jpg

(Although I hate beauty pageants, it's about time we have some people up there again.)
 Signature 

Posted: 25 November 2008 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  1969-12-31
Before the Lunise Morse, Carole Demesmin, Emeline Michel and etc... there was Lumane Casimir who paved the way for female lead singers.

Noted for being the first Haitian woman guitarist among many other firsts, Lumane Casimir was born in Gonaives in 1917 and is known as singer, guitar player, and song writers. Lumane is a pioneer. At an early age, she learned the guitar. For a woman of that time, that was a big feat. With her exceptional voice and her guitar skills, she was performing in many neighboring counties of Artibonite. Around 1930, she was spotted by the Pianist Lina Mathon Blanchet.

Thereafter, she joined the Legba Choir which she used as a stepping stone to stardomville. For Lumane, music was social. Her songs were a synergy between her individualism and the environment with its misery and hope. Of a poor upbringing, most of her songs were philosophical in nature, reflecting the meaning of time, life, sisterhood, faith, politics, and arts. She became such a diva that she became guest artist in Jazz des Jeunes, and El Saieh. In 1951, Luanne toured with Jazz des Jeunes with drum players such as Tiroro, Jean Remy, and Alphonse Cimber. She wrote many hits such as Larivye mwen te ye, and Lumanne pa bel fanm. For a long period, Lumane symbolized happiness, redemption and a better tomorrow.

2j64rk7.jpg

(She died quite young, late 30's I think. She got ill from tuberculosis, I believe and didn't get proper care.)
 Signature 

Posted: 25 November 2008 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  1969-12-31
Marie-Josee Lord, born in Leogane and now based in Canada.

Haitian-born Montreal soprano Marie-Josée Lord studied in Italy, took master classes with Edouardo Müller, made her professional debut at the Vancouver Opera as High Priestess Aida in 2002, and wowed audiences as Mimi in L'Opéra de Montréal's 2004 production of La Bohème. Then Lord's career really took off when she sang with Italian tenor Salvatore Licitra, widely hailed as the heir to Luciano Pavarotti, and starred in the symphonic version of Luc Plamondon's rock opera Starmania with the Montreal Symphonic Orchestra in Montreal and Paris in 2005, the same year she was among the privileged few to compete in the BBC Cardiff Singer of the World 2005 competition. It was there at Cardiff that the world also noticed Lord as also a world-class beauty.

At Twenty, after having studying the piano since seven years old, Lord decided to have a singing career. Although she had never been to the opera, a friend encouraged Lord to take voice lessons. Just for fun, she agreed. Surprised by Lord’s quick progress, her friend introduced Lord to a music professor who in turn suggested she reaudition for the Conservatory’s voice program.

Lord began studying voice in 1992 (she started as a mezzo-soprano), had a contract in lyric theatre for the summer of 1994, and gave her first recital in 1996. Things progressed rapidly. At the Quebec Conservatory, she sang the role of Turandot in 1995 and Suor Angelica in 1998. In 1999 Lord took on another challenge by moving to Montreal for Opéra de Montréal’s Atelier lyrique. "I found the first summer literally overwhelming," she says. "Everyone knows there’s a certain rivalry between Montreal and Quebec City, which meant I wasn’t necessarily welcomed with open arms. I’d been with the same teacher for seven years in Quebec, where I was fairly well known in musical circles. Now I had to begin again. It was difficult to adapt. I spent three years without being able to give my complete trust to another teacher. After a year of solitude, I found the second year difficult from the standpoint of voice. I was incapable of taking part in competitions or auditions, I couldn’t control my voice anymore…"

Marie-Josée Lord received enormous public and critical acclaim in November of 2004 for her role as Marie-Jeanne in the symphonic version of the rock opera Starmania, performed with the Montreal Symphony Orchestra to celebrate the work’s 25th anniversary. She sang the same role to similar acclaim in Paris in January and February of 2005. Further performances with the MSO were soon announced (for June 21 and 22). (At the moment of writing, the MSO is undergoing a general and unlimited strike, jeopardizing these performances). The work will also be performed by the Quebec Symphony Orchestra to open the Quebec Summer Festival in a major outdoor concert on the Plains of Abraham, July 7

Lord will be in the spotlight again when she represents Canada at the prestigious BBC Cardiff Singer of the World 2005 competition from June 11 to 19. "This is the second time I’ve tried to register for the Cardiff competition. I didn’t have much hope because there are so many candidates, so I didn’t feel any great pressure. The judge asked me to sing "Signora ascolta" from Turandot, which I know well, then asked me to do it again with various changes. After a pause, he asked for "Donde lieta usci" from La Bohème. We talked, then he asked me after another pause to sing "Stridono lassù" from I Pagliacci. The audition was held in New York, and after I got home I learned that I would be one of the twenty-five participants." Check out the results in next month’s La Scena Musicale

Signature 

Posted: 26 November 2008 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Gran Pan Pan!!
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  843
Joined  2008-05-01
kathy - 25 November 2008 04:11 PM

You just made an ass out of yourself with that assumption, Tibob.[/size]

What assumption? rolleyes
 Signature 

אֲ‍ֽנִישָׁ֭־לֹום וְכִ֣י אֲדַבֵּ֑ר הֵ֝֗מָּה לַמִּלְחָמָֽה׃

Posted: 26 November 2008 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Gran Pan Pan!!
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  843
Joined  2008-05-01
There was a woman who played the trumpet in System Band. She slept with all the other musicians of the group. A notable woman! Gfranc will find a biography and a picture for us.
I really don't know on what some people base their judgement to consider somebody notable. People have different gauges, but the scales here are not calibrated at all!
 Signature 

אֲ‍ֽנִישָׁ֭־לֹום וְכִ֣י אֲדַבֵּ֑ר הֵ֝֗מָּה לַמִּלְחָמָֽה׃

Posted: 26 November 2008 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-29
Tibobo/GanitoBibao - 26 November 2008 08:57 AM
There was a woman who played the trumpet in System Band. She slept with all the other musicians of the group. A notable woman! Gfranc will find a biography and a picture for us.
I really don't know on what some people base their judgement to consider somebody notable. People have different gauges, but the scales here are not calibrated at all!

what women or men do in their private lives is their business...however we are using this forum as a place to learn from each other of women who have excelled in the arts,politics and any other professional outlets but we need not know the sordid details your so hungry to dish out.
 Signature 

6 of 9