47 of 63
Benin Vodun and Haiti Vodou
Posted: 13 May 2009 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 553 ]
Sr. Member - Chef de la Patrie
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7384
Joined  2008-07-29
Shakmah Winddrum (CANCELLED DUE TO ILLNESS - WEDNESDAY - MARCH 25) is the founder of New Seed Sanctuary in Philadelphia and a Mambo (Voudoun Priestess) of more than 20 years experience. She was trained in Haiti and has traveled throughout the world combining Christian, Wiccan, Voudoun, and private spiritual practices following where the Spirit leads. Shakmah celebrates more than 40 years experience in the Mystical Arts. She is Liberal Catholic Priest, Ethiopian Coptic Archbishop, a Rev. of the Universal Life Church. She is a founding member of National African Religion Congress and Founding Director of the New Seed Sanctuary which she established 22 years ago in Villanova, PA. New Seed Sanctuary is a mystery school dedicated to the exploration and preservation of ancient mystical discipleship. New Seed Sanctuary’s vision is creating a global fellowship united in service to the spiritual evolution of human consciousness. Its mission is to live the ancient teachings and timeless truths; sharing them to empower personal growth and inspire shared successes.

Shakmah has written “African Initiations: Through the Eyes of an Initiate” and has several unpublished works. She is called upon by teachers and followers of many different faiths, walks of life, traditions and beliefs. Her gift is an understanding of the human experience and the evolving soul and an ability to speak directly to the heart and soul of the listener.
http://www.narcworld.com
 Signature 

Remember your words----reflect on your emotional tirades for once.

Posted: 13 May 2009 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 554 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4218
Joined  2008-11-24
fantasma - 13 May 2009 01:29 PM
Shakmah Winddrum (CANCELLED DUE TO ILLNESS - WEDNESDAY - MARCH 25) is the founder of New Seed Sanctuary in Philadelphia and a Mambo (Voudoun Priestess) of more than 20 years experience. She was trained in Haiti and has traveled throughout the world combining Christian, Wiccan, Voudoun, and private spiritual practices following where the Spirit leads. Shakmah celebrates more than 40 years experience in the Mystical Arts. She is Liberal Catholic Priest, Ethiopian Coptic Archbishop, a Rev. of the Universal Life Church. She is a founding member of National African Religion Congress and Founding Director of the New Seed Sanctuary which she established 22 years ago in Villanova, PA. New Seed Sanctuary is a mystery school dedicated to the exploration and preservation of ancient mystical discipleship. New Seed Sanctuary’s vision is creating a global fellowship united in service to the spiritual evolution of human consciousness. Its mission is to live the ancient teachings and timeless truths; sharing them to empower personal growth and inspire shared successes.

Shakmah has written “African Initiations: Through the Eyes of an Initiate” and has several unpublished works. She is called upon by teachers and followers of many different faiths, walks of life, traditions and beliefs. Her gift is an understanding of the human experience and the evolving soul and an ability to speak directly to the heart and soul of the listener.

Thanks sweetie, great information! I have been trying to find out more about this Wiccan. I posed the question if anyone knew of it before. I wonder what it's about? I think it is European, in orgin, and has to do with spritual forces from that genre. Suppose to be something positive.

Wedosi
 Signature 

In Youth, we LEARN....In AGE, we UNDERSTAND.

Posted: 13 May 2009 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 555 ]
Gwo Chèf
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2008-09-04
ayidowedohounon - 13 May 2009 01:48 PM

Thanks sweetie, great information! I have been trying to find out more about this Wiccan. I posed the question if anyone knew of it before. I wonder what it's about? I think it is European, in orgin, and has to do with spritual forces from that genre. Suppose to be something positive.

Wedosi

I've met Shakmah Windrum and Mambo Vye Zo Kommande and have been very impressed by both.

Wicca is a religion founded in the early part of the mid-20th century by Gerald Gardner, a retired civil servant living in rural England. He was inspired by a number of different religious movements which sought to restore pre-Christian European practices, and combined them with a healthy dose of irregular Freemasonry via the OTO (Ordo Templar Orientis, the group which made Aleister Crowley infamous). Among the books which inspired Gardner was Charles Leyland's Aradia: Gospel of the Witches, an 1899 text which purported to be the "Bible" of a pre-Christian Italian sect which still worshipped Diana and Lucifer (the Morning Star, not the Guy Downstairs).

Although contemporary Wicca and its offshoots bear little resemblance to actual pre-Christian English traditions, it's definitely a vital religion which has helped many Wiccans feel reconnected to Mother Earth and to the gods of their (distant) ancestors. There are a lot of Wiccans and Neopagans who treat their religion like a live-action roleplaying game, but there are also many serious and dedicated practitioners. I can speak from experience when I say there's real power in the tradition if you work it.
 Signature 

kenaz filan
http://www.kenazfilan.com | | http://kenazfilan.blogspot.com

Posted: 13 May 2009 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 556 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-24
fantasma, I ask you to view this site. This sistah is AWESOME! Trained in Africa like me. She is a female diviner. If you know how please post her site properly for me. Someone came to me to second her divination; and, girlfriend was 100% correct! She good! She uses the IFA/FA/AFA appelle. Trained in Togo...the home of the Mami Wata pantheon of Vodun. She has a fabulously informative site.

http://www.mamiwata.com/index2.html

Wedosi
 Signature 

Posted: 13 May 2009 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 557 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-24
Kenaz Filan - 13 May 2009 02:04 PM

I've met Shakmah Windrum and Mambo Vye Zo Kommande and have been very impressed by both.

Wicca is a religion founded in the early part of the mid-20th century by Gerald Gardner, a retired civil servant living in rural England. He was inspired by a number of different religious movements which sought to restore pre-Christian European practices, and combined them with a healthy dose of irregular Freemasonry via the OTO (Ordo Templar Orientis, the group which made Aleister Crowley infamous). Among the books which inspired Gardner was Charles Leyland's Aradia: Gospel of the Witches, an 1899 text which purported to be the "Bible" of a pre-Christian Italian sect which still worshipped Diana and Lucifer (the Morning Star, not the Guy Downstairs).

Although contemporary Wicca and its offshoots bear little resemblance to actual pre-Christian English traditions, it's definitely a vital religion which has helped many Wiccans feel reconnected to Mother Earth and to the gods of their (distant) ancestors. There are a lot of Wiccans and Neopagans who treat their religion like a live-action roleplaying game, but there are also many serious and dedicated practitioners. I can speak from experience when I say there's real power in the tradition if you work it.

Thanks KF, actually, you were the one I originally posed the question to; but, you were not around at the time. These pre-Christian English traditions, can you tell us a little bit more about them? Are they considered indigenous?! And, do they deal with the spirit world in a more direct way than organized religions?! Are they simular to vodun?!

Wedosi
 Signature 

Posted: 13 May 2009 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 558 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-29
Kenaz Filan - 13 May 2009 02:04 PM
ayidowedohounon - 13 May 2009 01:48 PM

Wedosi

off the bat i know that wicca is alot older than that.... It was popularised in 1954 by Gerald Gardner, a retired British civil servant, who at the time called it Witchcraft and its adherents "the Wica".
 Signature 

Posted: 13 May 2009 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 559 ]
Gwo Chèf
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-04
fantasma - 13 May 2009 02:19 PM

off the bat i know that wicca is alot older than that.... It was popularised in 1954 by Gerald Gardner, a retired British civil servant, who at the time called it Witchcraft and its adherents "the Wica".

Wicca the religion dates from the 1950s. Gardner was largely inspired by covens which could trace their roots back to the "Ossianic revival" of the early 19th century -- a movement which sought to recreate the pre-Christian Bardic movement in poetry and religious practices. He was also inspired by Margaret Murray, whose Witch-Cult in Western Europe proposed the survival of pre-Christian religions under the cover of "witchcraft" in Christian Europe. Most of Murray's work has long since been discredited, but the myth remains an important part of much Wiccan tradition.

While there's no evidence of any unbroken lineage that survived the Christianization of Europe, there are certainly many folk traditions and customs which can be traced back to pre-Christian religious practices. The bonfires on St. John's Eve, the Maypole, Morris Dances, etc. all have roots in traditions which date back to the distant past.
 Signature 

kenaz filan

Posted: 13 May 2009 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 560 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-29
you are talking about wicca as it is practised today. not that of the ancient celts which is what i am talking about. that's where the gap of communication is.
 Signature 

Posted: 13 May 2009 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 561 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-24
Kenaz Filan - 13 May 2009 02:37 PM
fantasma - 13 May 2009 02:19 PM

Wicca the religion dates from the 1950s. Gardner was largely inspired by covens which could trace their roots back to the "Ossianic revival" of the early 19th century -- a movement which sought to recreate the pre-Christian Bardic movement in poetry and religious practices. He was also inspired by Margaret Murray, whose Witch-Cult in Western Europe proposed the survival of pre-Christian religions under the cover of "witchcraft" in Christian Europe. Most of Murray's work has long since been discredited, but the myth remains an important part of much Wiccan tradition.

While there's no evidence of any unbroken lineage that survived the Christianization of Europe, there are certainly many folk traditions and customs which can be traced back to pre-Christian religious practices. The bonfires on St. John's Eve, the Maypole, Morris Dances, etc. all have roots in traditions which date back to the distant past.

This is very interesting stuff! Hey, KF, could you please copy that post, to me, about your books, on Vodun, on this thread. Since it is about Haitian Vodun I think it should be listed here. Maybe you can give us a couple of sentences on what is entailed in each book. I have found that when Benin or Haitian Vodou is googled, this thread hits the top. I too plan to read what you have written. See you guys tomorrow! smile

Wedosi
 Signature 

Posted: 13 May 2009 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 562 ]
Gwo Chèf
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-04
fantasma - 13 May 2009 02:44 PM
you are talking about wicca as it is practised today. not that of the ancient celts which is what i am talking about. that's where the gap of communication is.

The problem is that the ancient Celts didn't call their practices "Wica" or "Wicca" or anything like that. As I said, many of those practices have survived in legends, folk tales, dances, traditional practices and the like. But the organized religion of the ancient Celts did not survive in the way that, for example, African religion survived (albeit in a modified form) in Haiti, Cuba and elsewhere in the African Diaspora.

I'm truly sorry I never learned Lithuanian from my grandmother. The Lithuanians were the last European people to convert -- they didn't become officially Christian until the 16th century! And much of their pre-Christian religion did survive and is still being practiced today as "Romova." Alas, very little has been translated into English and the practices are solely done in Old Lithuanian. (Which is as it should be: it's an ancestral religion by and for Lithuanians and has no interest in becoming a "world religion" or seeking followers from other ethnic or cultural groups).
 Signature 

kenaz filan

Posted: 13 May 2009 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 563 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-24
fantasma, don't forget to check out that Mami Wata site! It's really great! Hope someone comes along and posts the whole thing properly for me! smile

Wedosi
 Signature 

Posted: 13 May 2009 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 564 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-29
ayidowedohounon - 13 May 2009 02:52 PM
fantasma, don't forget to check out that Mami Wata site! It's really great! Hope someone comes along and posts the whole thing properly for me! smile

Wedosi

yes i looked at it...but i can't post the pictures and such...anyone can just follow the link
 Signature 

47 of 63