2 of 3
Barcelo Hotels
Posted: 18 January 2009 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Gwo Chèf
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  1969-12-31
then Haiti will probably remain a "no go" as a Caribbean destination, while a vast amount of the region continues to prosper with tourism dollars. Just make the comparisons between other nations and Haiti, they don't have the high unemployment that Haiti does, streets are light years cleaner, mega-all=inclusive resorts have been built. Now, that is something that would benefit Haiti, and that is the all inclusive resorts. All you need is five or six of them up by either Ibo beach or down by Jacmel. the only problem with Jacmel is that there is not reliable air service in there. Although, bus service, which is called a 'transfer' to the resort would be a possiblity.

Well, I've been saying it since 1989 about Haiti and tourism. Maybe one day somebody down there will catch on and realize that is an answer, now not the whole entire answer, but certainly heading down the right path, to some of the problems of the country.

Posted: 18 January 2009 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Gwo Chèf
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2008-12-02
jamesdalphonse - 18 January 2009 11:10 AM
then Haiti will probably remain a "no go" as a Caribbean destination, while a vast amount of the region continues to prosper with tourism dollars. Just make the comparisons between other nations and Haiti, they don't have the high unemployment that Haiti does, streets are light years cleaner, mega-all=inclusive resorts have been built. Now, that is something that would benefit Haiti, and that is the all inclusive resorts. All you need is five or six of them up by either Ibo beach or down by Jacmel. the only problem with Jacmel is that there is not reliable air service in there. Although, bus service, which is called a 'transfer' to the resort would be a possiblity.

Well, I've been saying it since 1989 about Haiti and tourism. Maybe one day somebody down there will catch on and realize that is an answer, now not the whole entire answer, but certainly heading down the right path, to some of the problems of the country.

Haiti got all the elements to become a tourist destination. Beach, sun, competitive labor, etc. The biggest problem from my point of view is the bad image created over the years due to constant political turmoil and violence. If Haitians could only change that image things will be better. You also need to open Haiti to foreign ownership. You won't lose anything by allowing investors to come and take ownership of some land.

I was planning to go to Haiti, talked to a few friends and none of them were willing to go. Although we have a friend who already lives in Portauprince, they refuse to go and offer instead to go to Santiago de Cuba. The image they have of Haiti is that once you enter the country you will not make back alive. I'm talking about middle class Dominicans. It would be nice to change that fear and travel freely to the West, visit historic place, drink cheap alcohol and end up a beautiful beach in Jacmel. Dominicans love to give the cold shoulder to Haiti, that's mainly because we don't know the country. Haiti is an unknown to us. I hope that one day Haiti will become more hospitable to tourism and foreign investment.

Posted: 19 January 2009 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Gwo Chèf
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  1969-12-31
I couldn't agree with you more. Haiti does most certainly have all of the elements to become a tourist destination in the Caribbean. A lot of it is the negative image. I have visited Haiti several times, too many to count really, and have never experienced any problems. I would love to see the country prosper into a destination that tourists go to, spend their money, and have a great time. It would do wonders for the economy in Haiti.

Has anyone heard the saying, "build and they will come."

Posted: 20 January 2009 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Sr. Member - Chef de la Patrie
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2839
Joined  1969-12-31
jamesdalphonse - 19 January 2009 12:16 PM

Has anyone heard the saying, "build and they will come."

Oh! We have!!! The thing is that most "Well placed" Diaspora members think that somehow the country will magically turn on a dime and return to its glorious past from some 200 years back...

Just ask JC what he sees in development for Haiti, with all his talk of building up national production with "monopoly" money it seems...

But is better that people drop like flies dying each day, b/c they're proudly eating Haitian dirt and drinking Haitian mud... Did I mention all 100% made in Haiti and not "Imported"????

Guys like him are clueless about how a gov makes money to fund internal industry and pay for public services for all...

Somehow he'll convince financial institutions that loaning huge wads of cash to collective farmers to create his renaissance of the agro industry, will somehow pay back within their life span the loans alone, w/o even taking interest into consideration at all...

It only took the DR 44 years of political and social order to achieve a base from where to begin to create the mirror of an agrarian industry to satisfy local demand, and yet Haiti with 1/1000000mil of the resources at its disposal can become self-sufficient in a few as 5 years or so...

But hey! Ban those Dominican eggs! He better have the local population eat the rotten ones imported from elsewhere at higher prices, that sit in the ports at high temperatures that create a heaven for bacteria; just so that the poor Haitians that can't afford the good stuff (trucked privately by the rich into Haiti by the elite from the DR, with ban and all) don't eat the Dominican infested ones...

But you see! Nothing and nobody can stop what's coming once again to Haiti. This time around little will be standing on the wake of a mass made up of millions looking to feed their dying young and almost inert old. I told you so before when the riots erupted, as we could gauge the pressure in Haiti just by taking a head count of the daily crossings into the DR. This time the pressure is huge, I mean off the charts! Never has the DR's streets and lands in the proximity of the border, experience the influx of people non-stop that we're getting today.

Even the UN forces there are actively coordinating their exit to the DR using the DR's Armed Forces as their backup on pull out... No UN force is made to face millions that will stop at nothing but satisfy their hunger and seek to end it once and for all. If ever the people of Haiti called for a champion to come the rescue, this is going to prove to be that time in history.

When you're born into a family that doesn't even let you know when its your birthday, as time has proven that many will not live long enough to see their 21st; you understand that these people already abandoned any hope of ever making it as a family, much less as a nation.

Most Haitians that cross the border can't even recall their exact age! Most kids look to be at a very young age as proven by their anatomy, yet even their bodies are lying through their teeth! Most are at least several years over the age their fragile frames reflect. Only when the use of an odontologist is requested, is the approximate age calculated using their teeth as the rings on tree trunk... If they have enough of them left after being famine for so long...

You still don't grasp how critical the situation in Haiti really is today!

The DR can't even deport that many people if they even tried with military might! Simply put... Most will face a tank in their face point blank, rather than return without a glimpse of security they'll be able to return again to the DR.

The recent standoff with several hundred Haitians in a church on the border had to be defused with concrete promises that those returned would be allowed back once their employers in the DR provided their names to issue an ID so that they could return legally to the country.

This is something that has never happened before with any Haitians in the DR! Face armed guards and refuse to be deported in any shape or form! A General along a rep from the Haitian diplomatic crew had to be called in to resolve the standoff without the use of violence!!!!

Imagine the same spectacle of the ICE raiding the meat packing biz not so long ago, with fully automatic weapons and swat gear! Had the Mexicans illegal refused to comply to be forced into the buses and ushered into a field to be summarily deported in minutes back to Mexico?????

When a person faces guns and deportations and chooses to fight back at he cost of his own security and life, it means that back home he's certain to face assured death, and nothing less!

And JC is still playing with his KB, sounding like the gran pan pan!

JC you wouldn't see Haiti's reality even if it bit you right in your *ss!!!!!

I saw the past riots coming and told you, told you, told you!

Now I see something brewing that will cost lots of innocent lives and achieve zero, being the end result the dissolution of Haiti in the worst possible way and time, given the current economic conditions in the world.

Haiti will be annexed to the DR, but this is the worst possible condition it should ever happen under...

The mini-Haitian gov needs to reach out and sign super fast a free trade deal with the DR, and use that as a relief valve to allow things to flow naturally and in order to that goal.

The clock is running out on the option available to Haiti... Once the gov is decapitated for good, there will be little chance that the DR will allow a Haitian governor or appointees to deal with the western side of the island for a good time to come.

Posted: 20 January 2009 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  1969-12-31
This is the reality in Haiti:

Posted: 20 January 2009 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  1969-12-31

Posted: 20 January 2009 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  1969-12-31
[ Edited: 20 January 2009 07:35 PM by RPichardo ]

Posted: 20 January 2009 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4122
Joined  1969-12-31
A la bagay rèd se milyonè ki pa gen anyen pou fè. Ann fè yon jan pou nou voye yon pope ba li non pou li ka amize tèt li.
 Signature 

That which nourishes me also destroys me.

Posted: 20 January 2009 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10851
Joined  1969-12-31
poor RPichardo...lol

You have just made my point that haiti is not ready for tourism....

are we off the medications and not comprehending again???? tsk tsk tsk.

BTW: i just heard some haitian men offered queen sofia a few gourdes for her to give them a rim job.......I am totally disgusted....that's what happens when anyone who speaks spanish sets foot in Haiti.

podyab sofia

Posted: 20 January 2009 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  1969-12-31
Jesus Christ - 20 January 2009 08:47 PM
poor RPichardo...lol

You have just made my point that haiti is not ready for tourism....

are we off the medications and not comprehending again???? tsk tsk tsk.

BTW: i just heard some haitian men offered queen sofia a few gourdes for her to give them a rim job.......I am totally disgusted....that's what happens when anyone who speaks spanish sets foot in Haiti.

podyab sofia

LOL!!!

Posted: 20 January 2009 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  1969-12-31
HQueen - 20 January 2009 07:21 PM
A la bagay rèd se milyonè ki pa gen anyen pou fè. Ann fè yon jan pou nou voye yon pope ba li non pou li ka amize tèt li.

Voye pope ya pou mwen (wut 2b got 2b)!!!!!!!

Posted: 20 January 2009 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Gwo Chèf
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2008-12-02
I really think Haiti has elements to reestablish itself as a Caribbean destination. In terms of development it would be better is Haitians abandone their atavistic attitude and become less sentimental with their past. Haitians are among the most resourceful people we have in the region. But they have to open to foreign investment. Just do away this archaic structure of land tenure and allow foreigners to hold titles of ownership. Hatians cannot do it by themselves, they need us.

2 of 3