1 of 2
Les nouveaux bus véhiculent une meilleure image du transport public en Haïti. 
Posted: 23 April 2009 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Gwo Chèf
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2009-04-12
http://www.minustah.org/video/jpo/jpo56/jpo56_2.html

Posted: 23 April 2009 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Sr. Member - Chef de la Patrie
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3934
Joined  2008-06-29
That's great cool smirk they need to keep the streets clean and keep making them wider , anyway gen yon ti espwa.
 Signature 

EDUCATION is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance

NO MATTER how dark the night the sun always rises.

Posted: 23 April 2009 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1296
Joined  2009-04-23
Enlarge the streets and construct wider sidewalks! This will aid in alleviating traffic jams (blokus) and vehicle pileups and will also reduce pedestrian-on-vehicle collisions. It's about time Public Works & Transport implemented modern buses, one small yet important step towards progress. This is good news folks...it may not be much but this is important enough in my eyes to pop open a Prestige beer and drink to! cool smile
 Signature 

Boom! There goes the dynamite

Posted: 23 April 2009 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2550
Joined  2008-04-22
When I was in Haiti for Carnival, these buses were all over the place. It was very strange to see them going up and down Delmas almost empty while people in buses and Tap Taps right next to them were packed in like sardines. At first I thought these buses might be more expensive and that this was why they were so empty, but it turns out that people simply refused to get on because they weren't used to them.

My friend joked that in a a year's time, these buses would be packed with people even riding on the roofs. So far, these buses are running well, and seem to be weathering the abuse of the street conditions and heavy Port-au-Prince traffic.

new_buses.jpg
[ Edited: 23 April 2009 08:03 PM by CoolP ]
 Signature 

zipper Mr. HaitiXchange Himself-

Posted: 23 April 2009 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3075
Joined  1969-12-31
Ain't nothing like a tap tap ride!
 Signature 

yesterday is a cancelled check, tomorrow is a promissory note , today is the only cash you have so spend it wisely

Posted: 23 April 2009 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1276
Joined  1969-12-31
Bravo! now thats something to smile about. The government is building roads and now these new buses, I think Haiti is moving in the right direction.

I just hope they dont allow chickens, goats and other live stocks on these buses. (Not to mention chabon)
 Signature 

Si Bon die pat la, sa mwen tap fe?

Posted: 23 April 2009 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3934
Joined  2008-06-29
Haitian101 - 23 April 2009 10:07 PM
Bravo! now thats something to smile about. The government is building roads and now these new buses, I think Haiti is moving in the right direction.

I just hope they dont allow chickens, goats and other live stocks on these buses. (Not to mention chabon)

LOL definetly true.
 Signature 

EDUCATION is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance

NO MATTER how dark the night the sun always rises.

Posted: 23 April 2009 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2550
Joined  2008-04-22
portauprincesse - 23 April 2009 08:21 PM

You are not lying! In my opinion, there are two things which, if they disappear, Haiti just won't be the same:

Brightly colored Tap-Taps, and Ti-Machanns with baskets on their heads.

Give me my tap-tap any time!
kanaval022609_05.jpg
 Signature 

zipper Mr. HaitiXchange Himself-

Posted: 24 April 2009 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3075
Joined  1969-12-31
CoolP - 23 April 2009 10:28 PM

You are not lying! In my opinion, there are two things which, if they disappear, Haiti just won't be the same:

Brightly colored Tap-Taps, and Ti-Machanns with baskets on their heads.

Give me my tap-tap any time!
kanaval022609_05.jpg

There's just something about sitting dèyè on Tap Tap. The gossip, the news via Radio 32, The jokes...etc...
 Signature 

yesterday is a cancelled check, tomorrow is a promissory note , today is the only cash you have so spend it wisely

Posted: 24 April 2009 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3060
Joined  2008-09-23
CoolP,

I agree that Tap Tap should remain as a culture aspect but it's time for civilization to hit haiti as well. I think these buses should be used as a move to mordenisation. Your comment about people not used to them is mind boggling. I remember taking a tap tap and was uncomfortable..all these sweaty people piled up like sardines..I remember we just bought the whole bench..I don't know but I wasn't thrilled on a tap tap..

GTw, the road construction in Haiti are thanks to international countries..not Haitian government....on another note how will those bus fair with the roads...mechanics should be a number profession no..these guys want to be doctors, engineers, and when done can't find a job unless they have a parrain...

BTw, are those the old school jordan that you're wearing...I can see u guys and just tell you're from the States especially the other dude with you..very informative broder..mesi anpil

Posted: 24 April 2009 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4122
Joined  1969-12-31
The pick-up tap-taps should be done away with.

The bus tap-taps is a cultural icon and should stay. Sometimes when you get to a certain bus station in PAP and they're all there with all their colors and all, it's just beautiful to the eyes. But they should have more comfortable seat, do away with the benches.

dsc_1288-edit.jpg
 Signature 

That which nourishes me also destroys me.

Posted: 24 April 2009 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3060
Joined  2008-09-23
damn,

now that is what a call a Tap Tap..throw some shiny rims..and it's on

Posted: 24 April 2009 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Gran Pan Pan!!
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  560
Joined  1969-12-31
CoolP - 23 April 2009 10:28 PM

You are not lying! In my opinion, there are two things which, if they disappear, Haiti just won't be the same

And CoolP, isn't it what we're fighting for? For Haiti to not be the same?

Because we lack so much in basic developments, our human spirit tend to compensate for the deficiency by priding our need for patriotism with some virtual emotional attachment of anything that may represent values and differences with otehr nations. But when we get rid of this therapeutic mirage, we see that those tap-taps and those machann are polluting the city and making the urban landscape so not attractive.

Change is never easy. Even when for the better. Like Gary Perez would say in 1989 Zenglen (Fidel):

Se kon sa, se kon sa
Se kon sa lavi a ye
Lè ou vle met chanjman
Rezistans tèt chaje!

Just my 2 cents to express my joy seeing those small yet positive steps in my country.
 Signature 

1 of 2