5 of 5
HOTEL MONTANA
Posted: 14 July 2010 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Sr. Member - Chef de la Patrie
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10665
Joined  1969-12-31
dafedz - 14 July 2010 02:29 PM
LOL, i think all of those projects are slowly put on hold. I don't see serenity openning up this year or next year to be honest. The capital is still in ruins, and there are higher priorities. Maybe if this was something farther away like Les Cayes and Cap Haitienne I can see these things coming to reality. Sigh, the earthquake really screwed us over, but let's see how things turn out in the coming years. If anything, the NGO will need a place to play golf and relax, but not yet. They still got to look like they are doing work while the world's eyes are on them.

dafedz; these were NEVER projects....they were internet fantasies by some creative minds....I did the research.

the only REAL project is the Belrive project in Jakmel.

as for NGOs needing golf courses...WRONG...Haiti would have been the country with the most golf courses if that were the case.

Golf requires a certain clientele not abundant among NGO workers. And Haiti is not attracting tourists...let alone the type of tourists that golf.

One option.

Lease more land to Royal Caribbean and maybe they can add a golf course and other activities...and have the ship dock for more than one day.
[ Edited: 14 July 2010 03:10 PM by Jesus Christ ]

Posted: 14 July 2010 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  1969-12-31
JJClaudious - 14 July 2010 02:41 PM
Who owns the Montana? Is it that Arab woman who survive the Quake?

Last time I checked, the hotel located on Cardozo street was owned by the Cardozo clan...who also own/owned the defunct Castel haiti....haiti's tallest building until Digicel.

Posted: 14 July 2010 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3329
Joined  2010-02-22
Jesus Christ - 14 July 2010 03:09 PM

Last time I checked, the hotel located on Cardozo street was owned by the Cardozo clan...who also own/owned the defunct Castel haiti....haiti's tallest building until Digicel.

I thought that the hotel was owned by the d'Addesky family. It was a women who was in charge of it. I would have to check for that information.
 Signature 

Don’t raise your voice; improve your argument.

Posted: 14 July 2010 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  1969-12-31
Alain Possible - 14 July 2010 03:13 PM

I thought that the hotel was owned by the d'Addesky family. It was a women who was in charge of it. I would have to check for that information.

The Hotel is owned by sisters Garthe Cardozo-Stefanson and Nadine Cardozo-Reidl.

Their parents Franck and Edna Cardozo built it in 1946 as a 12 room hotel....and then kept adding...... and adding...and adding...and adding...... apparently without following sound building practices.

Posted: 14 July 2010 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-22
Jesus Christ - 14 July 2010 03:33 PM
Alain Possible - 14 July 2010 03:13 PM

The Hotel is owned by sisters Garthe Cardozo-Stefanson and Nadine Cardozo-Reidl.

Their parents Franck and Edna Cardozo built it in 1946 as a 12 room hotel....and then kept adding...... and adding...and adding...and adding...... apparently without following sound building practices.

Alright for the owners. Adding layers was not only the problem of Montana and the other tall buildings that collapsed. Montana is siting on a piece of land that could go with the rain if a real hurricane stop by Haiti. All the houses on that block are siting on a fragile soil which cannot even been held together with trees.
 Signature 

Posted: 14 July 2010 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  1969-12-31
Alain Possible - 14 July 2010 03:39 PM

Montana is siting on a piece of land that could go with the rain if a real hurricane stop by Haiti. All the houses on that block are siting on a fragile soil which cannot even been held together with trees.

Interesting Alain

...but Haiti has had many REAL hurricanes.

and as for Montana, the soil did not collapse........the floors collapsed on top of each other....showing a structural weakness.

Posted: 14 July 2010 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-22
Jesus Christ - 14 July 2010 03:55 PM

Montana is siting on a piece of land that could go with the rain if a real hurricane stop by Haiti. All the houses on that block are siting on a fragile soil which cannot even been held together with trees.

Interesting Alain

and as for Montana, the soil did not collapse........the floors collapsed on top of each other....showing a structural weakness.

JC the most recents Hurricanes that we had weakened as they got closer to the islands. I was passing by Montana and Christopher a few days after the earthquake, you could see the basements of some the places completly leveled and detached from the soil. Because the area is on top of the hill, when you look at the soil it is easy to imagine some worse case scenarios.

The soil look so weak underneath that heavy rain and hurricanes could cause landslides. The only advantage of Montana is that it is all the way in the center of the hill.

I did not like what I see. It does not look safe. I think that they should dig deeper when they are rebuilding and build stronger bases.
 Signature 

Posted: 14 July 2010 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  1969-12-31
Alain Possible - 14 July 2010 04:35 PM

Interesting Alain

JC the most recents Hurricanes that we had weakened as they got closer to the islands. I was passing by Montana and Christopher a few days after the earthquake, you could see the basements of some the places completly leveled and detached from the soil. Because the area is on top of the hill, when you look at the soil it is easy to imagine some worse case scenarios.

The soil look so weak underneath that heavy rain and hurricanes could cause landslides. The only advantage of Montana is that it is all the way in the center of the hill.

I did not like what I see. It does not look safe. I think that they should dig deeper when they are rebuilding and build stronger bases.

Alain; they have been building on those hills since the 40s. Haiti has had many deadly and brutal hurricanes in those 60 years.

What you observed is exactly what i am talking about.......poor building practices.

If you are building on a hill, you must have retaining walls........you must have foundation meeting hard soil or rock......and if building tall, you must use proper concrete and rebar techniques.

There is nothing wrong with the hill locations.

As you can see there was little damage in the better built areas on the hills...while the flat areas in Potoprens proper crumbled.

Posted: 14 July 2010 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-22
Jesus Christ - 14 July 2010 04:52 PM
Alain Possible - 14 July 2010 04:35 PM

Interesting Alain

[size=3]Alain; they have been building on those hills since the 40s. Haiti has had many deadly and brutal hurricanes in those 60 years.

What you observed is exactly what i am talking about.......poor building practices.

If you are building on a hill, you must have retaining walls........ you must have foundation meeting hard soil or rock ......and if building tall, you must use proper concrete and rebar techniques.

There is nothing wrong with the hill locations.

As you can see there was little damage in the better built areas on the hills...while the flat areas in Potoprens proper crumbled.

That's what I want to see and that's what I hope they will do for Montana, Christopher , Cercle Bellevues if they want to rebuild them.

My problem is not with the location of the hill. I was worried by how poorly they build the hotels and big apartments on top of a fragile soil. I think that they should not add a dust of cement and a few stones for the foundation to rebuild the area which they did at the beginning.

There was not really a strong foundation to hold those buildings to the ground.
 Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2010 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6218
Joined  2008-07-10
Just a short distance from Hotel Montana is the long standing Ibo Lele Hotel that dates to the 1940's as hotel and its still running strong.

One of my long time favorites. While everybody flocked to the Montana with its dazzling new this and that, I enjoyed my R&R;in its friendly confines and fabulous poolside lounge.

Posted: 03 August 2010 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Gwo Chèf
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  464
Joined  2010-07-05
gunner - 26 July 2010 07:40 PM
Just a short distance from Hotel Montana is the long standing Ibo Lele Hotel that dates to the 1940's as hotel and its still running strong.

One of my long time favorites. While everybody flocked to the Montana with its dazzling new this and that, I enjoyed my R&R;in its friendly confines and fabulous poolside lounge.

Which one is the cheapest but decent hotel in Haiti?

5 of 5