1 of 2
Cap-Haitian, Haiti
Posted: 21 November 2010 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
Sr. Member - Chef de la Patrie
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2236
Joined  2010-04-30
Cap-Haïtien (Okap in Kreyol) is Haiti’s second largest city and the largest in the North. It was founded during French colonial rule in 1670 as Cap Francais. The name change took place immediately after Haitians won their independence.

The city has a better developed tourist infrastructure than most Haitian cities.

800px-View_of_Cap-Haitien.jpg
[ Edited: 21 November 2010 11:48 AM by Food-Sovereignty-Haiti ]
 Signature 

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” Stephen Hawking

Posted: 21 November 2010 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-30
The Cap Haitien International Airport is the second largest airport in Haiti, the airport connects Cap-Haitiens to airports like Miami International Airport, Providenciales International Airport, Cibao International Airport and others in the Caribbean.

The Haitian government recently signed a deal with Venezuela for the international airport. As of September 13th, 2010, a 1300 meters concrete runway was being built by Haitian firms and personnel working under the supervision of a cubano-venezuelan firm.
 Signature 

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” Stephen Hawking

Posted: 21 November 2010 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-30
Administrative complex of Cap-Haitien (under construction)

40288087.jpg

40288079.jpg

40288106.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 21 November 2010 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-30
Feu vert Night Club rue 24 boulevard

30824983.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 21 November 2010 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-30
HOTEL DU ROI CHRISTOPHE

front-entrance.jpg

entrance-to-front-lobby.jpg

main-lobby-and-bar.jpg

This was my first trip to Haiti, in June 2005. I have not stayed at any other hotel in Haiti. I stayed at this hotel on 2 nights in different rooms, and was able to visit a suite also.

This is a good hotel. There are rooms available with air conditioning or just a ceiling fan. The suites are big. TVs are in the rooms. Each room has a separate bathroom with shower, sink and toilet. The bedsheets, pillowcases, and towels were clean. Beds and pillows were clean. Toilet paper and good soap were provided. Floors were very clean. Bathrooms were clean. Furniture and fixtures were old but clean.

The hotel is located in a nice part of town, close to a police station (so it's safe). Short taxi ride to the airport. http://www.tripadvisor.com

HOTEL DU MONT JOLI

view-of-the-hotel-from.jpg

view-from-mont-jolie.jpg

The Mont Joli was hands down the best hotel in Cap-Haitien. The location is unbeatable, with fabulous views of Cap-Haitien, providing opportunities to watch breathtaking sunrises and sunsets. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating, especially the bartender, Tony. The rum punches are unbeatable and the restaurant serves quality food at reasonable prices. The pool is clean and deep and rooms were comfortable with air conditioning and cable television. An easy walk down into town, the Mont-Joli is centrally located and tours can be easily arranged from the hotel. A real gem. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147308-d152112-r35461475-Mont_Joli-Cap_Haitien_Haiti.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

Auberge au Picolet

auberge-au-picolet.jpg

I have been traveling to Haiti for over 40 years. This trip I was bumped from my usual hotel to the Auberge Au Picolet. It is right on the ocean. The hotel was spotless, the rooms were immaculate, there was plenty of hot water, The AC worked perfectly. The electricity was 24 hours. The place was quite. The food.... it was gourmet quality. When I return to Haiti, I will make reservations at the Auberge au Picolet in Cap Haitien, Haiti. http://www.tripadvisor.com

Cormier Plage

beach-view-from-bar.jpg

beach-view-in-evening.jpg

cormier-plage.jpg

cormier-plage.jpg

My husband and I just got back from Cap Haitian and we stayed at Cormier Plage.We had a lovely vacation.Food and service were great.We had a clean and comfortable room with ocean view and beach was nice and clean.Hotel is lushed in beautiful vegetation (plants and flowers)and in a very secured environment.We had a wonderful time! Thank you to Jean Bernard(director) and all employes.We will definately go back. http://www.tripadvisor.com

Check also:

HOTEL IMPERIAL

HOTEL LES JARDINS DE L’OCEAN

HABITATION LABADIE

PENSION BRISE DE MER

VILLA CAMP MANDINGUE: Located on the northern coast of Haiti, the property of Mandingue Camp is in Labadee, in an immense lagoon protected by a barrier from reefs.This secluded property is accessible from sea.The main villa, is on a course vis-a-vis in the island of the tortoise. It is composed of two rooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen and a roomy covered terrace sheltering living room and dining room

Bedrooms : 5 || Rates starts at $3400/week

http://campmandingue.com/
[ Edited: 21 November 2010 01:29 PM by Food-Sovereignty-Haiti ]
 Signature 

Posted: 22 November 2010 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3791
Joined  2008-08-19
^^^^^3400/week. Looks nice but that's very expensive. wonder if they ever got that much
 Signature 

Les grandes familles haïtiennes sont milliardaires en gourdes, la monnaie nationale. Nous sommes milliardaires en dollars.”
-Maarten Boute, Digicel

Posted: 22 November 2010 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Gwo Chèf
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  443
Joined  2009-10-07
BENZ - 22 November 2010 09:51 AM
^^^^^3400/week. Looks nice but that's very expensive. wonder if they ever got that much

This is why we won't get a lot of tourist or our own compatriots going to the country. Prices like that are just outrageous to be honest. People can go to a safer country with a better reputation for less. Its better that they dont' put a price online if you ask me.

Posted: 22 November 2010 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3791
Joined  2008-08-19
dafedz - 22 November 2010 10:53 AM

This is why we won't get a lot of tourist or our own compatriots going to the country. Prices like that are just outrageous to be honest. People can go to a safer country with a better reputation for less. Its better that they dont' put a price online if you ask me.

exactly like right next door. I'm just wondering who they're marketing this place to because that's a tough sell at that price.
 Signature 

Les grandes familles haïtiennes sont milliardaires en gourdes, la monnaie nationale. Nous sommes milliardaires en dollars.”
-Maarten Boute, Digicel

Posted: 22 November 2010 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Gran Pan Pan!!
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  823
Joined  2010-01-14
BENZ - 22 November 2010 11:10 AM

exactly like right next door. I'm just wondering who they're marketing this place to because that's a tough sell at that price.

Minustah?

Posted: 22 November 2010 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10580
Joined  1969-12-31
It is a house on private secluded area...... accommodating 10 people....... with staff and all amenities included in the price.....for seven nights.

It is not a regular hotel

It is not geared to regular tourists.

A well to do family or a group of friends....looking for a week of retreat and relaxation........even with 5 people it comes to about $100/night.

It is not overpriced.

Posted: 22 November 2010 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3185
Joined  1969-12-31
before it was sold for nothing at all, the Hotel Mon Joli was one of the many private houses belonging to the sanchez-martinez family. jose sanchez-martinez, consule general to the d.r., passed it on to his son rolando who squandered the money away.

check the archives.
 Signature 

lougarou, si se wou di se wou wi.

Posted: 23 November 2010 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Gwo Chèf
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  191
Joined  1969-12-31
Here's another post about cap-haitien and its surroundings
http://www.haitixchange.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/432/

here's another one about jacmel
http://www.haitixchange.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/438/

Posted: 23 November 2010 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6218
Joined  2008-07-10
BENZ - 22 November 2010 11:10 AM

Lot's of takers: NGO big-whigs fill it up!

1 of 2