1 of 2
Haitian Woman “Stop Drop and Role” at Funeral
Posted: 26 November 2012 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Sr. Member - Chef de la Patrie
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1293
Joined  1969-12-31
Here are some more of our antics at haitian funerals...

Posted: 27 November 2012 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3311
Joined  1969-12-31
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

is this haitian culture or african culture? period!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

thanks for the laughter.
 Signature 

lougarou, si se wou di se wou wi.

Posted: 27 November 2012 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Gwo Chèf
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  154
Joined  2011-04-08
Some people get like that in the forums lol.

Posted: 28 November 2012 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3060
Joined  2008-09-23
And what is wrong with her grieving...this is part of our culture and is also prevalent in other countries in the carib. I think it is disrespectful that someone would post a person grieving on you tube...no wonder people don't respect us..we don't respect ourselves.

Posted: 28 November 2012 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6218
Joined  2008-07-10
Vicecomes - 28 November 2012 06:00 AM
And what is wrong with her grieving...this is part of our culture and is also prevalent in other countries in the carib. I think it is disrespectful that someone would post a person grieving on you tube...no wonder people don't respect us..we don't respect ourselves.

Grief should be sincere and spontaneous at the point of exposure.

Her antics are highly disruptive to those who are sincerely in grief.

Putting on a show is a sign of self indulgence and she is certainly doing that.

The drop and roll is not a normal response to grief in any culture and is certainly not a sincere reflex to grief.

Grief debilitates and does not energize.

Posted: 28 November 2012 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3060
Joined  2008-09-23
gunner - 28 November 2012 10:35 AM

Grief should be sincere and spontaneous at the point of exposure.

Her antics are highly disruptive to those who are sincerely in grief.

Putting on a show is a sign of self indulgence and she is certainly doing that.

The drop and roll is not a normal response to grief in any culture and is certainly not a sincere reflex to grief.

Grief debilitates and does not energize.

Gunner,

I agree with you that this is extreme but this behavior is seen throughout the Caribbean. I don't find it funny though. What the purpose of this post. We already are ridiculed why do it ourselves. No go copy and paste reports

Posted: 28 November 2012 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2551
Joined  2008-04-22
This reminds me of some women who were at my mother's funeral years ago and were screaming out my mother's name in what appeared to be an attempt to outdo each other. They appeared to be having contest to see who could grieve the most and the loudest.

A good thing is that they were both a couple of notches clamer than the woman in this video. The bard part, as Gunner stated, is that they were distracting to me, my sister, and father, and other family members who were seriously grieving. The funny part of it was that although my mother was very popular in the Haitian community and known by many, we had never seen these women in our lives, and to this day no one could tell us who they were.
[ Edited: 28 November 2012 01:02 PM by CoolP ]
 Signature 

zipper Mr. HaitiXchange Himself-

Posted: 28 November 2012 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6218
Joined  2008-07-10
CoolP - 28 November 2012 12:57 PM
This reminds me of some women who were at my mother's funeral years ago and were screaming out my mother's name in what appeared to be an attempt to outdo each other. They appeared to be having contest to see who could grieve the most and the loudest.

A good thing is that they were both a couple of notches clamer than the woman in this video. The bard part, as Gunner stated, is that they were distracting to me, my sister, and father, and other family members who were seriously grieving. The funny part of it was that although my mother was very popular in the Haitian community and known by many, we had never seen these women in our lives, and to this day no one could tell us who they were.

We've had the same experience over the years.

From screaming and yelling to picture taking.

Grieving is a painful process and undo distractions are a further source of grief.

Some members of my family are known to be very stoic.

Just a small tear in the corner of their eye sends a more sincere message than rolling on the floor.

Posted: 28 November 2012 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Gran Pan Pan!!
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  823
Joined  2010-01-14

It's actually quite healthy and cathartic to let it all out. Sometime the person rolling on the floor at the funeral is the same person telling jokes at the reception because they're done grieving. Of course being so extravagant can be disrespectful to the close family, but you can hear her say that the deceased had no children so it's her responsibility to mourn her. Posting inappropriate material on youtube is just one of the many flaws of our generation. Nothing is sacred anymore; everything is a joke. It's worst when they don't put translations.

Posted: 28 November 2012 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1219
Joined  2010-05-07
jona - 28 November 2012 06:19 PM

It's actually quite healthy and cathartic to let it all out. Sometime the person rolling on the floor at the funeral is the same person telling jokes at the reception because they're done grieving. Of course being so extravagant can be disrespectful to the close family, but you can hear her say that the deceased had no children so it's her responsibility to mourn her. Posting inappropriate material on youtube is just one of the many flaws of our generation. Nothing is sacred anymore; everything is a joke. It's worst when they don't put translations.
I agree.
 Signature 

I took a big part in sending Jean Bertrand Aristide away....they say, there are five people who sent him away, I am one of the five ~Charles H. Baker

Posted: 28 November 2012 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Gwo Chèf
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  488
Joined  1969-12-31
Fanm Kreyol - 28 November 2012 08:12 PM

I agree.

What I dont get is why people are acting like this is something new.

and this is nothing compared to what I've seen this at Haitian funerals and in churches too. People who cant sit down in funerals and church services become a little annoying.

Try a Southern Baptist Church. They give these people a run for their money.

Posted: 28 November 2012 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2331
Joined  1969-12-31
Fanm Kreyol - 28 November 2012 08:12 PM

I agree.

I didn't watch the video; read few comments and knew at this point: Enough said.
 Signature 

Respect all life; Reject violence; Share with others; Listen to understand; Preserve the planet; Rediscover solidarity; Peace is in our hands.

Posted: 29 November 2012 07:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Gwo Chèf
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  154
Joined  2011-04-08
Maybe she was paid to do that?

1 of 2